The convention of the National Association of Aimlessly Milling Around Automobile Drivers is in town, again.
A strong, simple building. The Romans would have loved it. It was built in 1913, long after the City Beautiful movement had established albino classicism as the ideal of the day. It was designed by Charles Frost, who was chief architect for St. Paul's similar Union Depot - and an architect for the 1893 World's Fair that brought back this style.
The 1917 plan for Minneapolis envisioned a city of classically-inspired buildings, all the same height; the station, at the bottom, would have fit right in.