The Andrus Building was, and is, a stolid resident of the corner of Nicollet and Fifth. By the time it was built in 1898, the retail and office core had moved from Washington Avenue up the street, and this was prime real estate. It has the feel of a Class-A pricey office block, even though the exterior decoration was done entirely in brick. No fancy terracotta for these lads; sturdy honest brick was sufficient.
The airy lower floors almost makes the building look as if it floats, no?